Parents/Grandparents Sponsorship – Re-opening January 4, 2016
On January 4, 2016, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will be opening the Sponsorship Application for Parents/ Grandparents at 8:00 A.M. , Eastern Standard time. Just like the previous years, CIC will be imposing cap on how many applications they will accept.
To maximize the chance of getting your application in, you have to make sure that you meet the following guidelines:
- Applications will only be accepted on or after January 4, 2016 at 8:00 AM. There is no point submitting at an earlier date – it will just be returned to you.
- Follow the document checklists to the T! If you forget one document, the application package will be returned to you.
- You must be a Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen to sponsor your parents or grandparents. If you are a foreign national in Canada with a Canadian spouse, you cannot ask your spouse to sponsor your parents/grandparents for you.
- Make sure you meet the minimum income threshold requirement. You can combine your income as well as your spouse’s or common-law partner’s, if they will co-sign with you.
- Make sure you do not forget to include your Notice of Assessments for the years 2014, 2013, and 2012. If you have a co-signer, their Notice of Assessments must be included too.
- To calculate the Size of the family unit, follow these steps:
- Count: Yourself, your spouse or common-law partner, and children;
- Count the number of persons you are sponsoring: (your mother and father);
- Count all dependent family members whether or not they are accompanying;
- If you or your co-signer previously sponsored someone and the undertaking is still valid, you must count that as well;
- If you or your co-signer have co-signed in a previous sponsorship and the undertaking is still valid, count that as well;
- Total the number of people from a – e. That is your family unit size.
- Submit the application package using courier or by post with tracking number. This will ensure that you have proof it reached its destination. Copy the application package for your own reference.